Single Moms Can Return to College
What was your means of income before you returned to college?
Before returning to college, I worked for a company in which you could only be promoted if you had a college degree.
- Can you recall the first trigger or event that caused you to think about returning to college? Please share. The first trigger that caused me to think about returning to college was when I discovered that I was pregnant. I knew that I didn’t want to stay in a dead end job forever but the only way to move up within the company was a college degree.
- What is the degree or certification you earned or that you are working towards? I’ve earned an Associate’s Degree in Office Technology and a Bachelor’s Degree in Business Administration. In January, I will be working on my Master’s Degree in Business Administration.
- How will/did earning this degree or certificate change your life? Earning my Bachelor’s Degree has helped me to obtain a state job with awesome benefits at Lamar State College-Port Arthur in the financial aid office.
- How will or did it also change the lives of your children? Completing my degree has changed my child’s life because he has watched me work hard and sees how with hard work, you can achieve anything. He has also learned to depend on GOD and that with him, all things are possible.
- How did you manage to pay for the tuition, books, etc.? I was eligible for a Pell grant in the beginning but when I exceeded my eligibility; I had to depend upon student loans and I also received a P.E.O. grant.
- How long was the process for you from beginning to end? The whole process for me from beginning to end, starting with my Associate’s and ending with my Bachelor’s degree was several years off and on due to relocation to Texas and my father’s death.
- What kept you going when the going got rough? The thing that kept me going through rough times was GOD’S grace and mercy and my son. I wanted to actually finish something that I started. I didn’t want to give up just because things were tough because I knew that it wasn’t all about me anymore; I had my son depending on me. Not only was he depending on me but he was watching everything that I did and he is still watching me.
- What suggestions do you have for other single moms thinking of returning to college? My suggestions for other single moms thinking about returning to college is to think of the benefits. There is light at the end of the tunnel and with GOD’S grace, there is nothing you can’t do. Not only will it be a great example for your children but it gives you such a sense of accomplishment!!!
- Give a description of your life before and after this endeavor. My life before returning to college was just living from day to day. I had no vision for what or where I wanted my life to be. I truly believe that my son is GOD sent because he has helped to focus and to set goals for myself.
Tanisha is now employed in the Financial Aid Office at Lamar State College-Port Arthur, Texas. She is also preparing to earn a master’s degree.