12 Steps Adapted for Single Moms
- I admit that I do not have control over the difficult people in my life and I cannot manage all my responsibilities alone. My life has become crazy, out of control.
- I do believe that a Power greater than myself can and will bring clarity out of the chaos in my life.
- I will turn my stubborn will and my crazy life over to the care of God.
- I will make a searching and fearless moral inventory of myself and perform a complete autopsy on my previous relationship.
- I admit to God, to myself, and to another trusted person the exact nature of my wrongs in all past circumstances even if I still believe I did all the right things.
- I am entirely ready to have God remove all my defects of character, including those I am totally unaware of.
- I humbly ask God to remove my shortcomings as I attempt to forget the shortcomings of others.
- I will make a list of all persons I have hurt, offended, or mistreated. And will ask God to make me willing to make amends to them all.
- I will make direct amends to such people wherever possible, except when to do so would hurt them or others worse than I have already.
- I will continue to take personal inventory and when I am wrong will promptly admit it, even in front of my children.
- I will seek through prayer and meditations to improve my conscious contact with God, praying only for knowledge of God’s divine will for me and the power to carry it out.
- Having had a spiritual awakening as the result of these steps, I will carry this message to others, and will practice these principles in all my affairs.
(c) 2013 Gail Cawley Showalter
Gail holds a degree from Lamar University in Speech and a Master’s from the University of Texas. She was an educator in regular and special education for twenty years, finishing her professional career as a Braille teacher. She is a Certified Professional Coach with Fowler International Academy.
She married Sam after raising three children as a single mother.
In 2007 She founded SMORE for Women. SMORE is a nonprofit association whose goal is Single Moms, Overjoyed, Rejuvenated, & Empowered. Her stories have been published in several Christian books and magazines. Her book, Living Learning Loving, published in July 2015, is available for purchase on CreateSpace, Amazon, or Barnes & Noble online.