Buckner Family Place in Lufkin, Texas

Last week I had the opportunity to take two young single moms to Lufkin to visit the Buckner Family Place and Angelina College. Both of the young women have two very young children. Though young mothers have many different reasons for parenting their children in the absence of the father, they have a common thread that runs through their lives. The loneliness and constant struggle with bearing responsibilities without a partner can be a draining ordeal. And it isn’t for just a few days, weeks, or months. They often do not have financial support and then cannot work because any salary they earn is eaten up to pay for childcare.

Buckner Family Place, which I’ve mentioned before, offers a way out of the difficult situations that single moms face. Even there moms come from various backgrounds-all with the common desire to create a better life for themselves, but mostly for their children. And in doing so they provide such a wonderful example for their children.

For more information about Buckner Family Place call 936/637-3300.


  1. Samantha · · Reply

    Hey i am a single 22 mother of 3 girls currently living with my mother, my step father, and my brother in lufkin tx things aint going well.. i was married early at 16.. now 22 and separated i have no diploma and no ged can buckner help me and my girls.

    1. Hi Sylvia, I’m sorry things aren’t going well for you. I suggest you call Marisa Phillips at Buckner Family Place in Lufkin. Her phone number is (936) 637-3300. I know that you have to have a GED before you can apply for the Family Place. Maybe she will know where you can go in your area to get help with that.

  2. I am 17 years old, and have a 8 month old daughter. I am currently living with my father but things are going so well here. I really want to get out but have nowhere to go. I just recently enrolled in a school and I also don’t have childcare is there any way I can get some help?

    1. If you live in Texas I strongly suggest that you contact Buckner Family Place. http://www.buckner.org/family-transition-programs/ They have several facilities across the state. Also look at our resource page which includes numerous possibilities for you. http://www.smoreforwomen.org/resources.html
      If you are not in Texas you will be able to get ideas from the resource page for similar agencies where you will. Keep in touch and let me know how it goes. God Bless.

  3. LaShunda · · Reply

    I attended the Bucknet Family Place in 2000 when Brenda Dunn was there and I really would like to contact her is there a way for you to give her my email lasmonerv@ me.com

  4. Viviana Samaniego · · Reply

    Im 17 years old with a one year old. I’m currently in a abusive relationship with the father of my child. I live with him and his family and have no where to go. So I basically feel forced to live here even though I’m constantly getting abused. Not only by my boyfriend but by his brother also. I have no job but I would love to attend AC and become a radiologist tech like I’ve always wanted. What is there that o can do? How would o get started?

    1. FIRST- go to http://www.thehotline.org You must respect and take care of yourself. There is help out there for you.
      Second- I don’t know where you are located, but there are ways to get out and have a safe life for you and your child.
      If you are in southeast Texas, I can offer more specific direction. Let me know.

    2. Do you mean Angelina College? If so, call Judy Morgan, the Director, and tell her I suggested you call. Her number is (936) 633-6243 They know how to handle situations like yours. Do not give up or give in to abuse. You deserve better.

    3. Anonymous · · Reply

      apply directly at Angelina then go behind the school to buckner

  5. Hi, I am a 21 yr old single mom of a 2 yr old with no HS diploma or GED. Can Buckner help me?

    1. Ashley, If you are a Texas resident I encourage you to contact them. This could turn your life around. -Gail

  6. Shakeria Crew · · Reply

    I Am A 18 Year Old Single Mother With A 4 Year Old Son. I Plan On Attending Angelina College. I Struggle From Day To Day In Certain Areas Of My Single Parenting Life. I Just Want To Know How Do I Go About Getting Into Buckner Homes And I Also Wanted To Know If My Son Would Be Able To Go To Preschool?

    1. It is always great to hear from a single mom who wants to get an education, learn a skill, and provide a better life for her child/ren. The very first thing you need to do is to contact Buckner Family Place to see if you are eligible to begin the application process. Don’t let this frighten you. Whatever they tell you – it is a beginning. Regarding your son’s preschool: Buckner Family Place has a complete daycare center and I’m sure they will take care of your needs. So call today: (936) 633-6243 Tell them I told you to call. Gail

  7. Stacy Hardin · · Reply

    My daughter is a 21 year old single mother who is struggling for the same reasons, it is hard for her to work or go to college because of the expense of child care. I try to help as much as possible but I am recently divorced and have 2 younger children at home as well. I work from home and I can sometimes care for my granddaughter but now that she is a very inquisitive and smart 2 year old, I don’t feel that I can focus on work and give her the proper attention. She has recently filled out her FAFSA and we did an online app for Angelina College today. Where can we get more information on Buckner Family Place?

    1. I suggest you call the Buckner Family Place and then all your questions can be answered correctly and quickly. Their number is (936) 633-6243. Judy Morgan is the director there and she is always ready to assist single moms. Please do let me know how it goes.

  8. Buckner Family Place is for parents who have made the decision to change their lives and their children’s lives. It is on the campus of Angelina College. It works together with other organizations to make this happen. There are rules and regulations due to the nature of some of the situations for women who come there. So, no, your fiancee would not be able to stay with you. In fact no overnight guests are allowed, even relatives. It is a very nice facility and the childcare is large and especially nice. I suggest that when you graduate from high school or obtain your GED, that you contact them at 936-637-3300.

    Keep looking ahead and make the best possible choices for you and your son.

  9. Quashunna Miller · · Reply


Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.

%d bloggers like this: